J**** C***'s avatar'
J**** C***3 months agoOther Workplace Issue

Employees need to belanja Boss for CNY dinner (收工酒), yes or nay?

There's this "culture" that's going on in my company where I find it really ridiculous, we've been doing it for 2 years straight and i've had enough. As CNY is just around the corner, many companies/bosses will start to belanja employees to appreciate their hard work, right? However, in my company it's the other way round. Instead of Bosses appreciating the employees, we are FORCED to belanja our bosses to eat because we got our year end bonus. We go to atas chinese restaurant (酒楼), even malay employees are forced to be there even if they can't eat anything. "Dont go can dy la?" You may ask. Cannot, cause you'll still need to pay even if you're not there... What's even more ridiculous is if we are not there, we will have to pay "double" the amount. For those who get bigger bonus will need to pay even more, the amount range from RM100 - 300... and most of us usually pay RM 200 and above... Just curious if this happens often in other companies, or is it just my company?
KHEW WEI FENG's avatar'
KHEW WEI FENG2 months ago
no, boss earn more than us lol
Lester Tan's avatar'
Lester Tan3 months ago
In many organizations, it is common for companies or bosses to show appreciation to their employees during festive seasons like Chinese New Year. This usually involves the employers treating their employees to a meal or providing some form of bonus. However, the situation you describe, where employees are required to belanja (treat) their bosses for a CNY dinner, seems to be quite unusual and may not be a common practice in most companies. As an HR expert, I would advise you to address this issue with the management or HR department of your company. It is important to communicate your concerns and feelings about this practice. Express your thoughts on how this tradition may be unfair to employees and suggest alternative ways to show appreciation for their hard work. Furthermore, it would be beneficial to gather feedback from your colleagues regarding their opinions on the matter. If a majority of employees share the same sentiment as you, it might strengthen your case when discussing this issue with the management. Remember, open communication is key in resolving such matters. By expressing your concerns and providing constructive suggestions, you can help create a more inclusive and appreciative work environment for everyone during the festive season.