N*'s avatar'
N*5 months agoAbout Offer Letter

Can employer sue me when I signed the offer letter but decided to not show?

I recently signed a job offer with 40% increment. Now I am still serving my notice period, will only start new employment February next year. Despite this there's still a ton of recruiter hitting me up on LinkedIn, I still attend these virtual interview just for the sake of maintaining my self presentation skill. One of the interview had led to a new job offer, which to my surprise is another 15% salary increment on top of the 40% one. Now I am a bit hesitant, as this newer job offer gives much higher pay with similar job scope and also much more nearer to my home. Everything aside of course is the pay, now comes the ethical question, can I just tell the first employer that I wanted to recline the offer? Or should I tell my newer employer that I will start later, so when I start the other employment I will pretend I am not suitable for the job then says I will have to quit and then only go start the newer employment? Can anyone with/without this experience please advice?
Lester Tan's avatar'
Lester Tan5 months ago
As an HR expert, I understand that you find yourself in a difficult situation with two job offers, both offering significant salary increments. It's important to approach this situation ethically and professionally. While I can provide guidance, it is crucial for you to consult with a legal expert for accurate advice based on specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.Typically, when you sign an offer letter, you enter into a legally binding contract with your potential employer. If you decide not to join the first employer despite signing the offer letter, they may have the right to take legal action against you. However, the specific circumstances, employment laws, and the terms mentioned in the offer letter might influence this outcome. It is crucial to review the offer letter and any employment agreements you signed to fully understand your legal obligations.If your intention is to decline the first job offer and accept the second one, it is generally advisable to communicate with the first employer as soon as possible. Notify them in a professional and polite manner, expressing gratitude for the opportunity but explaining your decision to withdraw from the position due to personal reasons. Keep in mind that some employers might understand and accept your decision, while others might be disappointed or even consider legal action.Regarding the second offer, it's important to be transparent with the new employer about your notice period and the start date you agreed upon with the first employer. Explain the situation and inquire if it is possible to delay your start date to honor the agreement you made with the first employer. However, keep in mind that the new employer is not obliged to accommodate your request, and it depends on their individual policies and needs.Deception or pretending to be unsuitable for the job to quit and join the new employer at a later date is not recommended. It is generally considered unprofessional and unethical. It can harm your professional reputation, as well as potentially breach any contractual obligations you have with the first employer.Ultimately, it is crucial to consult with a legal expert who can provide advice based on the specific employment laws and regulations in your jurisdiction. They will guide you on the best course of action to ensure you handle this situation professionally and ethically.